The Humane Society of the Lake’s goal is to find loving homes for each animal resident we care for. We take special care to match the right home with the right animal, ensuring a lifetime of love for both the pet and the adopter. To ensure the best matches are made, we have a process that has been proven effective in determining the best homes for our animals. Our adoption process may seem time consuming or unnecessarily complicated, but please understand that we have our cats’ and dogs’ best interests at heart. We strive to find the best homes possible for all animals, as well as find the right animal for you and your lifestyle.
How do I adopt an animal at the Humane Society of the Lakes?
- Complete an Animal Application (Cat or Dog, respectively), found on this website or within the shelter.
- Allow staff to process your application for up to 3 to 5 business days. This time can vary due to veterinary, landlord, and/or reference availability. Staff will contact you to once completed to continue the adoption process.
- Schedule a Meet and Greet with the animal! All family members, roommates, or other person(s) living in the adopter’s residence will be asked to meet the animal prior to adoption.
- If applicable in dog adoptions, staff will request any current dog living within the adopter’s residence to meet the interested dog(s).
- Complete adoption forms with staff!
- Staff will complete a follow-up call with adopters to answer any potential questions and review the adopter and animals’ wellness.
Notes for interested Adopters:
- You must be at least 18 years of age to adopt and provide legal proof upon request.
- We do not hold animals for interested adopters.
- You must complete the necessary paperwork and pay the adoption fee prior to adoption.
- If an animal is not yet altered, the additional fee for the animal ($50 for cat or $75 for dog) is refundable provided the adopter completes a spay/neuter procedure within 90 days of adoption. We will ask for proof of the procedure and/or veterinary record upon refund request. Once proof of surgery is provided the deposit will be fully refunded.
- We do not process applications on a “first come first serve” basis. We match all animals to applicants who we feel best fit each individual animal’s personality and needs- completing a loving home!
Share updates with us by joining the “Humane Society of the Lakes” on Facebook. Fosters, staff, and our community love to see the shelter pets happy and loved in a home. Have a good Happy Tail with your adopted pet? Share your story with our Animal Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Altered Dogs: $200
- Unaltered Dogs: $200 + $75 refundable fee**
- Altered Cats: $130
- Unaltered Cats: $130 + $50 refundable fee**
**Animals that have not been altered can leave the shelter after they receive an exam from a vet. If adopter wishes to take the animal before it has been altered, they will have to pay for a spay/neuter out of pocket. They will have 90 days to provide proof the animal has been altered and the adopter would receive a $75 check back for dogs and a $50 check back for cats.
Frequently asked questions:
- Are your animals vaccinated?
- Yes, all animals are up to date on core vaccinations according to age.
- Do they receive any other veterinary care?
- Yes! Upon intake, all animals receive vaccinations, dewormer, flea and tick medication, and are assessed by a veterinary partner from the Detroit Lakes Animal Hospital!
- Are your animals microchipped?
- Yes, all animals we receive are microchipped. Upon adoption, adopter’s will be provided with the animal’s microchip number and information.
- Can I come in anytime and look at available animals?
- We suggest interested adopters to review animals we have available online prior to entering the shelter. This helps assist staff, the animals, and the adopters in the adoption process J
- Can I surrender an animal at your location?
- Yes you may, however we do have a wait list and will contact you once space is available. There is a $60 surrender fee for unaltered and a $30 surrender fee for unaltered animals.
- How long does the adoption process take?
- Each adoption process can vary depending on the animal’s personality, interested applicants, and staff availability. Please allow up to two weeks to complete a full adoption process.
- Can we exchange the animal we adopt for a different one?
- No, we never allow pet exchanges as pets are not disposable. We advocate forever responsibility – forever adoptions.
- Please call us at 218-844-0511 to discuss the issues you are facing before returning an animal. Often there are solutions to the problems that you are facing and we may be able to help.
- We are a “No-Kill” shelter and require adopters re-homing an adopted pet to first contact us. That way, we can reassess the animal and assist finding a forever home.